Wednesday, November 5, 2008

Consolation in the midst of Pain

Today is a hard day for those who fought for life in this years election. But I thought that today's scripture reading had great consolation for those of us who are trusting in God and following the path of his Son.

Reading 1

Phil 2:12-18

My beloved, obedient as you have always been,
not only when I am present but all the more now when I am absent,
work out your salvation with fear and trembling.
For God is the one who, for his good purpose,
works in you both to desire and to work.
Do everything without grumbling or questioning,
that you may be blameless and innocent,
children of God without blemish
in the midst of a crooked and perverse generation,
among whom you shine like lights in the world,
as you hold on to the word of life,
so that my boast for the day of Christ may be
that I did not run in vain or labor in vain.
But, even if I am poured out as a libation
upon the sacrificial service of your faith,
I rejoice and share my joy with all of you.
In the same way you also should rejoice and share your joy with me.

1 comment:

nutrigina said...

i've been wanting to talk to you guys about this since the elections. i am still shaking my head in disappointment in our country's choice. i couldn't sleep. thanks for your post! you are so right that the ONLY way to peace is through following Jesus Christ-the way, the truth, and the life. We need not fear (even when there is total chaos all around us). God is on our side when we keep His commandments. i guess the most important thing we can do is strengthen our own families and teach our children to love God, follow Christ's example, and be prayerfully seeking and doing His will. it helps to keep an eternal perspective...and prepare ourselves for the return of Christ our Lord! (that is something to look forward to with total joy and excitement!) all will be well in the end...